I am trying to create a view/form that has a dropdown

    <%= f.label :type_id%><br />
    <%= f.select :type_id,Type.all.collect{|c| [c.description,c.id]},
:onchange=>"HERE I NEED TO DO SOMETHING WHAT?" %>
    <!-- on change or on select show drop down for value otherwise
regular value -->

Now when they change and the id is now 5
HERE I NEED TO CHECK THE VALUE SELECTED BY THE FIRST SELECT
1. How do I access the id of the first select and what was selected?

I want to create:
   <%= f.label :value  %>
    <%= f.select :value,Test.get_tests.all.collect{|c|
[c.description,c.test_id]} %>

If its not 5
I want
    <%= f.label :value %><br />
    <%= f.text_field :value %>

Please if you can tell me how to access the first select- do I set an
id? and what I do onchange since its in the same form a few lines down I
want to have a different field.

Thank you