Can't say as I'm in that 'hey, me too' group...

I'd classify that as short-sightedness...
Rails has migrations, form builders, plenty of tools to make agile
development possible.  You've squirreled away part of your data into a
form that is inaccessible except through your application, or someone
else writing code, possibly in another tool, that attempts to mimic
yours.

What happens when a client calls asking 'Hey, why can't I search on X? I
see it on the forms.'

And how about support for 3rd party report writers, ad-hoc querying, or
data warehousing?

-1 for submitting to the demands of the moment.  But that's just my
opinion.