On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Philip Hallstrom<phi...@pjkh.com> wrote:

>> I will deploy my sites with Passenger.
>> I develop on windows with Instantrails so I should now use vmware if I
>> want to have passenger also used during development. But is it really
>> needed? Does it make much difference if I use Passenger or not for the
>> development environment?
>
> I don't use Passenger in development.  I'm running osx, but that
> doesn't matter.  I can't think of a reason to run passenger in
> development...

Passenger absolutely rocks for development, particularly when you work
on multiple apps.

Add some local domains like yourapp.test to /etc/hosts. Then anytime
you want to hit your app, just load it in the browser. No fiddling
with starting/stopping mongrels. Plus, stuff like concurrent Ajax
requests will actually work.

To go one step further with this convenience, set up dnsmasq and map
*.test (or whatever top-level domain you want for local development)
to 127.0.0.1. Then you can do stuff like subdomain-based accounts
without adding every one to your /etc/hosts.

This setup is awesome for designers, too. Everyone on your team has
the full app running locally with no fuss, so they can work on view
code and CSS and see the results live. The way it should be.

I can't recommend this enough.

jeremy