Thanks to all.

I got this working in the end - the problem was with my rake
db:mysql:backup, it specfied the path to the mysqldump command, and I
don't know why but when cron ran the command it failed due to this path
(when the rake task was run directly from the command line it worked
out). I ran "which mysqldump" and then specified that path explicitly in
the rake task - and all is good!

All is fine (I think).

But now on to stage two, all I've done so far with my single rake task
run from cron is create the backup file nightly. I now need to manage
these backups (cull the oldest and make a copy on another machine).

I figure I can use this command for the cull (or something like it)..

/usr/bin/find PATHTORAILSAPP/db/*.gz -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;

and a nightly scp command to copy the files off the machine to another
machine.

Thing is, should I write rake tasks to do this stuff (how easy is that)
or should I run the commands from cron?

Any and all tips appreciated. I've done the first bit, so at least I've
got backups happening nightly (phew)!