I don't think this is going to work - you're grouping by the date in
the DB, where they are all UTC. The dates that come back don't have
times, so there isn't any way to convert them. (eg, 2009-09-03
02:39:22 UTC -> 2009-09-02 CDT, but 2009-09-03 2009-09-03 12:39:22 UTC
-> 2009-09-03 CDT)

The only way around it would be to add the offset back in on the SQL
side before converting to a date; how you manage that will be based on
which DB you're using. Note that you'll still have a mess on your
hands, as the two months where DST changes won't have a consistent
offset...

--Matt Jones