Not sure why (or if) save is returning true, but looking at the
program flow, wouldn't Rails try to do an update of each cnote since
they are not new records when they are retrieved? (Rather than an
insert as the OP intends.)

In that case, trying to update a record that no longer exists in the
database should return false but perhaps it doesn't in this case.