Hi --

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Sandip Ransing wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I wanted regular expression for the following patterns like
>
> Nauzer Bharucha, TNN 10 September 2009, 12:01am IST
>
> IANS 3 September 2009, 02:57pm IST
>
> regular expression should return
> date in first group
> author in second group
> and agency in third group
>
> for below pattern it should return
> Nauzer Bharucha, TNN 10 September 2009, 12:01am IST
>
> $1 = 10 September 2009
> $2 = Nauzer Bharucha
> $3 = TNN
>
> In second case author is nil
>
> Any ideas ?

I'm in a "teaching to fish" mood :-)

If you're not yet thinking in regex terms, you need to dissect and
describe your pattern, and then translate it into a regular
expression. Here's a description, as I understand it.

     zero or one of
       (one or more non-comma characters)
       a comma
       one or more spaces
     (three uppercase letters)
     one or more spaces
     (one or more non-comma characters)

etc.

Also, note that you can't choose which capture will be $1, $2, etc.
They are assigned strictly in the order in which the left parentheses
appear, left to right (unless you use (?:) to suppress inclusion of a
particular group).

David

--
David A. Black / Ruby Power and Light, LLC / http://www.rubypal.com
Ruby/Rails training, mentoring, consulting, code-review