Hi,

Are there any Rails/Apache guru's that might know if it's possible
(and how) to have the ability for users to upload their content to my
RoR application but then subsequent access to such static content
would be:

   a) served by APACHE web server [to avoid the overhead of going via
Rails], but
   b) still want to have an authentication/authorisation check to
occur before they can access the content

The constraint is I'm on http://dreamhost.com/ shared platform where I
have only access to the Apache .htaccess file and I can't add my own
Apache modules.

   http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Apache
   http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Htaccess
   http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/_Unix_/_.htaccess_files