I installed ImageMagick 6.5.6 and all seems to be installed ok.

I downloaded ImageMagick 6.5.6

I entered
$ ./configure

and everything seems OK. When I enter
$ identify -version

I get
Version: ImageMagick 6.5.6-6 2009-09-30 Q8 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC

I then enter
$ sudo gem install rmagick
I get
Successfully installed rmagick-2.11.1
1 gem installed

To check the install I enter
$  sudo irb -rubygems -r RMagick

and I get

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.11.1/lib/
RMagick2.so:RuntimeError: This installation of RMagick was configured
with ImageMagick 6.5.6 but ImageMagick 6.4.5 is in use.

what am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? Thank you for your help.