> It's a Ruby thing.  Can be tough to get used to

Yep.  I understand and definitely agree that it's a bit tough to get
used to.  The thing is, when the option to use parens when they're not
required is exercised (as in lines 1 and 3 of this example) and then,
for no apprent reason, the option is not exercised in the intervening
line 2, it leaves me to wonder if the author of the code knows
something that I don't.  Hence the question.

Thanks for the response.

        ... doug