You would store the key(s) on disk- just like the OP.   Usually this
is done in the PGP keyring.

Who's key you would use depend on who you're encrypting the file to &
who you are signing it as.

Basically, PGP was made specifically for this use case.   I can use
PGP to encrypt a file to Jack (using Jack's public key) and sign it
with my own private key so that Jack knows for certain that I sent him
the file and nobody in between made any changes to it.

I don't know if ruby has PGP bindings or not, but you can always fall
back to system().

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/