Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
> This is not a question but a  mini-report to others who might be in my
> boat.
>
> My application needed/needs the ability to authenticate a login via
> email.
>
> There are Restful Authorization examples that claim to do this ... but I
> have not been able to successfully get it to work.  I can get the email
> send out and the email responded to, but the sample code I trided to
> implement do not then "authorize" the user.
>
> I also tried Authlogic.  If there are hooks in there with the state
> machine such that an email could be sent out, I could not find it.

You can do this with Authlogic, and I don't believe
acts_as_state_machine is necessary.  See of the rdoc for the various
Authlogic ::Config modules has anything useful.  Or you might need to
use perishable_token.

> Finally I tried something call Devise ... which sits on top of Warden.
> Sample Devise code (with a bit of smtp massaging) pretty much worked
> right out of the box.  That sample can be found at
> http://github.com/plataformatec/devise_example
>
> Note that the example uses a user's email as a login id.  Adding a login
> id and "hiding" the email when the user logs in is left as an exercise
> to the reader.  I went through that exercise and it made me a bit
> familiar with the Devise internals.  Some of the error messages are in
> the code ... others are in yml files.
>
> It takes some doing to get it all installed. Nonetheless, I recommend
> Devise.
>
> Caution: I'm a newbie to RoR so take my recommendation with a brick of
> salt.

Then why are you even making it?

Seriously, don't give up on Authlogic.  It's what most people are using
these days.  Check out Railscast #160 if you need an overview.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org