I haven't looked at the recipe you refer to but most browsers will
only do posts. That's why Rails form helpers simulate doing a put by
adding a hidden field called _method to the form which rails then
checks for before passing control onto your controller.

PUTs *are* supposed to be used to update your records but the RESTful
way of doing it is to put the update code in the update method and
specifying resources in your routes.rb file.

Also using the REST convention, your edit method should respond to a
GET and should display a form. It shouldn't be updating anything.

This guide should set you on the right track:
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

Regards
Ritchie