What type of payment system are you using?  IPN?

If so, then once the payment reaches the payment gateway and the customer
finishes paying, you check the status of the payment received and if
successful, you change the subscription based off the amount(s) received.
You are supplying information but you aren't supplying any actual methods so
that we can review what you are doing.  I use an IPN system for one of my
sites and do the above.  I'd love to help you out but without seeing code
and how things are actually working with your controllers/models, I can't.

Sincerely,

Joel Dezenzio
Website Bio:  http://jdezenzio.com/
Rails Production Sites:  http://ncaastatpages.com