thx again for your time JD.
I did dry the code snippets you gave me, and i also searched the web
for the methods of CGI, and couldn't find it anywhere, including on
railsguides.com and at railsapi.com, which served me fine up till now.

where should i get the fucntions for CGI? Can ri show them to me?How
do i do that?

if i understand correctly, regarding the link business :
first
1) the helper file for products:(the ONLY place where I wanna use it)
requre 'cgi
def format_string_for_google(query)
   CGI.escape(query)
end

2)the show.html.erb
<%=link_to "google it", ""http://www.google.com   /search?
hl=en"as_q=&"as_epq=" + format_string_for_google(@product.author)"

Is this code here of any good to my problem?

a billion thx in advance,
radu