Hi,

I was thinking whether it would be more elegant for a view to call
methods on the controller rather than rely on instance variables. I'm
not really sure what the answer is so thought I would throw it out
here.
Perhaps with a basic DSL that makes it explicit what the controller is
setting, like:

class BooksController < ActionController::Base
  var :book do
    Book.find(params[:id])

where var:

class ApplicationController..
  def self.var(name, &block)
    define_method(name, block)
    helper_method(name)
    # Perhaps memoize too?

Does this violate the rule that the controller should be driving the
view? Any major disadvantages you can see?

Regards,
Andrew