> 2. Give the user temporary (one-time use) password and send them that.
> Keep track that the password is temporary and make them reset their
> password immediately after logging in. (This is the safest way I know of
> to implement password recovery).

I would implement this slightly differently.  Rather than create a temporary
password, take them through the normal process and then enforce a password
reset - I would create token, send them a link to a reset password page that
has the token in the URL, accept a new password on that form, find a user
with that token and change the password, remove the token from the user
record (so it can't be reclicked from email or hit accidentally) and
redirect them (to either a login page or their profile page if you
automatically log them in from the token).

To me that's a slightly better UX flow than giving them a temporary
password, login with it (knowing their browser may suggest to save the
one-time password) and then ask them to reset it.

Cheers,

Andy