This is a problem I know other people have been having.  I'm on Rails
2.3.5 on a dual core 2.1Ghz Macbook Pro 2.1 with 3Gb of ram and 800Mb+
inactive memory.  Things should be fast.  Sometimes things run slowly,
but nothing nearly as slowly as rails.  irb starts in milliseconds.
Even Java maven tasks are pretty fast.  Rails on the other hand takes
a pitiful 1:30 minutes to start - the server, console, and tests.
Simple requests often take 5-10 seconds.

My ruby version:

ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-darwin9.7.0]

I do have 208 gems installed, many of which are in use.  That could be
the issue, or it could be some specific gem that's causing a problem.

Either way, I'm presently missing the startup speed of Java, which
seems rather ironic.

My last rails project was with earlier versions when I never had a
problem.

Are there any known problems with gems or anything else that cause
this kind of issue?

Thanks.