Ah!  I found the solution.  Just the process of typing up the
questions here can be very helpful.  I changed the version number
('jquery','1.3.2');  to 1.4 , the latest.  Now the browse button
works.

There is still one error loading prototype.js (below).  But it's not
fatal.

Message: Object doesn't support this property or method
Line: 4621