Thanks Andy and ayupmeduck...

Yes, this was the issue (Sorry, I'm mostly a LAMP guy, this was
probably pretty obvious to Rails developers)... In our clean scripts
we were running a command to create a new Rails project before we
restored.  I got rid of this and started with a clean folder and
everything works great now.

Thanks again!