On Mar 23, 4:58 pm, brianp <brian.o.pea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I'm a one person team and in the next month need to produce and deploy
> an application. I've been playing with rails for a little over a year
> now and recently deployed my first app as a private contract.
>
> I'm now planning development on a start up company.
>
> The app should be expecting high volumes (not like Twitter but high
> for sure. Its no social media app) My target audience is very specific
> but in certain locals the app has been requested by many users who are
> in fact waiting for the app to deploy.
>
> Smaller Volumes actually uploading files and adding objects to the db.
> Many people surfing the site. (Probably the same sort of RATIOS as
> cragslist (posters:readers, but not near the volume.)
>
> My current plan is and I need some help with this:
>
> Start on shared hosting unlimited traffic/storage. Will move to
> dedicated-virtual if shared hosting causes performance issues when
> traffic picks up.

Stay away from "shared hosting"; you'll have a bad time unless you're
running on at least a VPS or equivalent (EC2 instance, Heroku dyno,
etc.) Any host that's offering "unlimited bandwidth / unlimited
storage" is probably so oversold as to be useless.

> Behavior Drive Development via RSpec & Cucumber.
> Build the App in rails with ActiveRecord (I read somewhere
> ActiveRecord can be swapped out for something faster, Should I use
> something else?)
> Use multiple MySQL databases 1 master for writing, at *least* 2 slaves
> for reading. (Any info on this would be good.)

This is a fairly sizable bucket of hurt, especially to start with. I'm
also unsure how this squares with the "shared hosting" above. You're
better off starting with a single MySQL instance, and dealing with the
expansion when the load demands it.

> Run multiple mongrel instances via mongrel_cluster. (How many is
> sufficient? I think currently I have 4 available on my hosting, can
> upgrade later if needed. So that would be 1 main instance and 3
> extras.)

The "standard" deployment stack (if such a thing can be said to exist)
uses Passenger in preference to Mongrel. There's considerably less
Apache fiddling to get a Passenger setup running.

Finally, you might want to take a look at some of the "cloud"
offerings out there; Heroku is pretty popular, and is apparently very
easy to deploy to and scale. Amazon EC2 is another possibility; they
also offer pre-configured MySQL server instances on some fairly big
iron.

Hope this helps!

--Matt Jones