On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Without getting into the debate about how idempotent GET requests
> really are I'd suspect that these days most people are using restful
> routes. If you use restful routes and remove the default route then
> it's not possible invoke (eg) a create action from a get request.

A fair point. Though certainly the use of restful routing is optional and
even if used in most cases, I'd wager it is common to find important code
happening outside it. In those cases, we have a fail-open scenario with the
current filter.

The hard part is coming up with a fail-closed filter that will catch these
but isn't also a pain to manage for normal requests. At the moment, I cannot
think of an elegant solution, this is just one of those things where
developer diligence is the solution to security. I'm just concerned the
framework-blessed blanket solution is creating a lurking risk in the
ecosystem of rails apps.

On a related note, does anyone know if rails 3 is taking a different
approach to this issue?

jsw