Michael Pavling wrote:
> On 7 April 2010 16:58, Yanni Mac <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> extremely inefficient.
> Ah! Sorry... missed that.
>
> Just a thought... can you be sneaky and add an accessor method to Click?
>
> # Click model
> def count
>   read_attribute(:count).to_i rescue nil
> end
>

> No idea if it'll work... maybe worth a bash...

Thanks Michael, that got me thinking!  This is a hack, but it still
works for me because I can call it on one line.  I am developing a
reporting system where I convert an ActiveRecord object list to a table,
so I really wanted to avoid hard coding something in each class.  This
allows me to create my list on one line and then pass it to my
conversion method.

 Click.find(:all,:select=>"count(*) as click_count, date",
:group=>"date").each{|c|c.click_count = c.click_count.to_i}

I still want to figure out why count(*) does not return a number data
type, but this will work for now.