Well, I found out that I can't have ANY extra constraints on it.  That
seems to make time_select parameters interpreted incorrectly.

Can't have:
:prompt => true
:include_blank => true
:ignore_date => true

So my form field is reduced to:

<%= form.time_select :activity_start_time %>
<%= form.time_select :activity_end_time %>

and
    @activity.activity_start_time = Time.parse("00:00")
    @activity.activity_end_time = Time.parse("00:00")

inside the controller, so that the current time won't be selected by
default for new records.  Kind of annoying that I can't have prompt or
blank at the top.  :-\    If anyone has figured out a way to make
time_select work as expected, I'm all ears!