Ar Chron wrote:
> Dani Dani wrote:
>> Thanky you both Marnen & Anubhaw.
>>
>> I did run the depot example application and even used debugger to see
>> things from "inside", but still felt like someone who types in what he
>> was told. The feeling is still there, if I had to do it myself, there
>> are things I wouldN't know even they exist if they were not mentioned in
>> the book. That is what I ment when I ask - where is the collection of
>> all the methodes, helpers, ... of rails. I'll go to those sites you both
>> have mentioned. I'm sure I'll come with further questions.
>> I do apprciate your quick answer and your motivation to help. Thank you
>> !.
>> Dani.
>
> So start your own project. On something you already know, so your not
> focused on "what data do I need", or "who are the users", or "how is the
> data organized" - you know, all those domain knowledge questions that
> are usually the most important things, and can instead focus on "how do
> I do this in Rails".
>
> One of the most useful things I did early on was to scaffold a
> rudimentary application for a person's information, then read through
> and look at all the scaffolded routines, etc to see how rails wants to
> work.

Hey, good advice (well, except that I usually counsel beginners away
from scaffolding)!  My first Rails project (after a false start) was a
complete rewrite of an app I'd already created in PHP.  I deliberately
didn't copy the backend structure -- I wanted to make sure I used Rails
as Rails -- but I did basically copy the UI exactly.  It was a great
learning experience, because I already knew how the app was supposed to
work and could focus on the framework.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser