ok, I've got a model called Location, the idea being that i have a
bunch of locations aligned to a grid.  Each location has a pointer to
it's neighbors, like so

create_table "locations", :force => true do |t|
    t.string   "name"
    t.text     "description"
    t.integer  "north"
    t.integer  "northeast"
    t.integer  "east"
    t.integer  "southeast"
    t.integer  "south"
    t.integer  "southwest"
    t.integer  "west"
    t.integer  "northwest"
    t.integer  "x"
    t.integer  "y"
    t.datetime "created_at"
    t.datetime "updated_at"
    t.integer  "map_id"
  end

whereas all the directions (north, south, east, etc) should all be
references to other locations.

I know this is probably an easy question, but what kind of
relationship is this, and how would I set it up in my model?  like
this?

has_one :location, :foreign_key => :north
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :northeast
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :east
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :southeast
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :south
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :southwest
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :west
has_one :location, :foreign_key => :northwest