My company is developing an application for a client. The client
has an ASP.NET web site and SQL Server 2008 database and wants to keep
it

He is
complaining that ActiveRecord does not communicate natively with SQL
Server 2008 and are asking us why ActiveRecord uses freeTDS in
conjunction with
unixODBC.

I googled it a little bit and to be hones, I wasn't
able to find any library using only freeTDS to connect to SQL Server
neither why there are only libs using freeTDS + unixOBC.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.