maybe this is due to your relative path. are you sure the file is
where you think it is? are you sure the current working directory is
what you think it is?
try File::exists?("#{RAILS_ROOT}/path/to/my/file")

another thing: since you obviously left out some code and replaced it
with "..." we can't be sure your code is correct. are you?