[Please quote when replying.  This is a mailing list, not just a Web
forum.]

demonGeek wrote:
> Because I want to.

That's not a sufficient answer.  If you need a feature, be prepared to
explain how it adds value for you.  If you can't explain how something
adds value, you probably don't actually need it.

> Like I said, I already know how to use a UUID with rails - so what is
> it you think I should be asking?

You should be thinking about *why* you want to use a UUID, and whether
it's actually the appropriate solution in the context of Rails.

> The question was: how do I get a migration to create a primary key
> column in a database - the only thing that has to do with Rails is
> that the migration is written in Rails.
>
> Creating a primary key on a database column is about optimizing the
> database, I don't see what that has to do with optimizing Rails code.

Rails expects the database to be set up a certain way.  In return, it
gives you a lot of nice stuff.

> I'm not trying to imply any meaning into that other than the obvious
> one.

No one said you were.  But please understand the framework before trying
to fight it. :)

I seem to recall that there's a plugin or something to make Rails work
with UUIDs, but I've never used it.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser