On May 22, 2:27 am, Ralph Shnelvar <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Bill Walton wrote:

> Ok ...
>
> I need to do polling of the server.  The polling will happen out of
> jQuery ... so there is no UI trigger event as such.
>
> Once I get my results back, I'll use jQuery to manipulate the DOM to
> pupulate certain fields ... as indicated by the XML returned.
>
> Where I am getting confused is what on the server side picks on the
> request?  What on the server side sends back status codes 1, 2, 3, and
> 4?

if by 1/2/3/4 you mean the XMLHttpRequest's readyState, nothing on the
server manipulates that directly - the browser's implementation of
XMLHttpRequest changes the readyState as the process of making the
request advances. From the point of view of your rails app, this is
just another request - you can render html/json/xml just as you would
for any request. You may want to use respond_to or xhr? to adapt your
response to the fact that it is an ajax request if your action is one
that can be used by non ajax clients

Fred