On 3 June 2010 15:17, Ivan Nastyukhin <dieinz...@me.com> wrote:

>    if request.xhr?
>      render :partial => "whatever"
>   end
>
> if developers, from my team, write this, i curse too much for such)

If a developer from my team makes a judgement/technical direction based on
incomplete facts I'd curse too much too :-)

Out of interest, what's your problem with the above code?

> yep, if u will be cache the render time, will be good. but data with u
> send, will be huge.
> Insert big html into dom, is slower then build its in js.

That's the important fact - we don't know how much data/html will be
returned.  I'm assuming it will be relatively small (the OP said mobile
device), you're assuming it will be huge.

Neither of us know, so I'd prefer to go with the simpler solution (that
keeps display logic/markup generation in one place) and optimise to a
JSON/DOM insertion later *IF* it's found to be required.  Premature
optimisation is the root of all evil...

Cheers,

Andy