At work, we have a situation where when

  script/server

is run, then all the controller code is cached.  This is to speed up the
development server.  But that will mean that whenever we change the
controller code, we need to restart the server.

So we can turn off the caching of controller code all together.  But
can't there be mechanism that is similar to the inclusion of javascript

  foo.js?1273424325

which is to use the cached version as long as there is no code change,
but recompile it when there is code change?

Maybe because we use HAML and SASS a lot, loading some page (such as the
homepage of the site) can take 40 seconds on the dev environment and it
is quite long.