I'll check into 1.7.  I confirmed that this is a problem with
Rails3.beta4:

Create a new project, generate a scaffold for some Foo class.  Confirm
that the delete link from the index page gives you a confirmation
dialog.  Change the "Destroy" text to an image_tag and the confirmation
no longer works.  I read somewhere else that this was an issue with the
JS library and the way that it's referring to page elements.