Your input/experience appreciated.  I have noticed multiple
discussions regarding husband and wife.  But none really end in a
"this is a the best way to handle things."  Here is my situation.  I'm
recording information on couples -- husband and wife, one of each.  If
the two are no longer married, the couple will evaporate.  If either
person is deleted, then couple will evaporate.  I originally thought
of having all individuals in one table, persons, and then creating
couple with alink to each person.

# == Schema Information
# Schema version: 20100620123354
#
# Table name: couples
#
#  id                :integer         not null, primary key
#  active            :boolean
#  husband_id        :integer  # reference to persons table
#  wife_id           :integer  # reference to persons table

I was then thinking:

belongs_to :husband,:class_name=>"Person",:foreign_key=>"husband_id"
belongs_to :wife,:class_name=>"Person",:foreign_key=>"wife_id"

and then having classes "Husband < Person" and "Wife < Person".  Is
this feasible?

I am so torn I don't know what step to take next.  I'm early in
development so I can do anything.  But what I want to do is what is
best.

Do I stick with a couples table and one persons table?

Do I create separate tables for husbands and wives?  If I do this, can
I create one Person class and Husband & Wife models inheriting
Person...that way the two tables are created and migrated
separately?

You input is really appreciated.
dvn