Hi Tyler,

 Tyler Smart wrote:
> Most of my migrations are by number, not timestamp, but 5 or 6 of them
> (the most recent) are with timestamp. These I want to move to number
> based, and now I want to forward the migration table to the appropriate
> number. How do I force the table to update without actually running the
> migration, or should I migrate down to 5 or 6 ago (before timestamp) and
> then migrate up again with numbers?

The answer to your question is yes: migrate down, change the names of
the time-stamped migrations to be number based, then migrate back up.

IME, there are good reasons to avoid time-stamped migrations.  The
chief ones are that they allow lazy communication between members of
the development team and poor habits in terms of update before commit.
 If you use number-based migrations you will catch problems at the
rake db:migrate level.  Using time-stamped migrations you'll not catch
them until your tests or your users do: a much more time-intensive
debugging circumstance.  I'm not saying there aren't situations where
time-stamped migrations aren't worth the risk.  But the fact that you
have a mix of number-based and time-stamped migrations indicates a
possible communication problem.  Anything that reduces the need for
proactive communication between team members should be carefully
considered re: the risks.

Just $0.02 from someone with a long history of and current
responsibility for ensuring effective and efficient communication
among the team.

Best regards,
Bill