Hi Folks,

I am newbie to RoR, and I was looking for a way to do the following:

1. Run a service that provides a RESTful API.
2. Use the rails ORM (it is really convenient)
3. Keep the models up to date with data from another source on the
system (in addition to updates to the models via rails controllers).

Now, RoR is great for 1 and 2. For 3, I am thinking of writing a
daemon, but the daemon needs access to the database (possibly via the
Rails ORM).
Another constraint is that I am using a JRuby-based system.

Has anybody attempted something like this before? What have you used?
Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Radhesh