Hello Marnen,

On the contrary, I find hivelogic's logic (:P) quite sound.

I understand that the possibility of software updates breaking the
environment is kinda remote, but learning to build from source and
knowing exactly where your software is helps a lot. Whats the point in
developing in RoR but having little knowledge of where your components
are installed on your machine or how to update them? I help maintain a
couple other Macs where we followed hivelogic's article the very day
the Macs were opened from their boxes, and they have no issues
whatsoever in maintenance. In contrast, my setup has been giving
trouble regularly. Still remains to be seen though, whether having
hivelogic's setup on top now on my machine will work consistently :).

Besides, gem install mysql simply dint work in my older setup. Spent
couple of weeks on it.