On 8 July 2010 08:50, Henry Oss <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Marnen
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

>> Waiiiit...engineers and system users are *jobs*?  That's what your
>> associations would seem to say, unless I'm misreading.
>
> Yes.  Though perhaps role is a better choice of word.
>

>> Do engineers and system users require different sets of fields in their
>> respective tables?
> Yes.  So many that I don't want to have redundant fields in a single
> table

Why?  The simplest solution is usually the best.  How many million
users will you have if disc space is your worry?  You might want to
look at STI if you want to keep the types functionally distinct,
though again the simplicity of an all in one table with a role is
usually preferable.  You will easily find a plugin that will handle
roles for you to make life even easier.  The less code you write the
fewer bugs you will have and the easier it will be to code, test and
maintain.

Colin