In the Rails guides: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

It mentions that we have the following in the "routes.rb" file:

map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'
map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format'

Now, in completing the tutorial, we will add the following to
"routes.rb":

map.root :controller => "home"

In the first two statements we have :controller, and in the last
statement, we have a :controller pointing to a value.

How does Rails determine that the first two statements point to a
:controller other than the last statement?

And, in the last statement, what are we exactly saying?

Thanks.