Dave Aronson wrote:
> Just a wild guess here: does realize that the -w is a parameter, not
> part of the actual filename?  IOW, will it tell the system to try to
> find a file in your path with the name "mate -w" (all, but sans
> quotes)?  I've run into similar problems with other programs many
> times.  Try chopping off the -w and see if it works.  (Or is it
> necessary in this situation?  I don't use mate.)

You can just drop the -w. (--wait). This is an option to the mate
command line tool to wait for the file to be closed. Using TextMate as
an "EDITOR" requires the use of the --wait option so the Terminal will
wait for the file to be closed before returning to a prompt.

I use this all the time in the way I explained earlier. It should work
fine either how I have configured it using the EDITOR environment
variable, or configured for use by Git only as shown here:
http://help.github.com/textmate/