On Tuesday 10 August 2010, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Michael Schuerig wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I didn't explain why I want this version number to begin with. I
> > don't need the version anywhere in the app. The whole point is to
> > identify the version of the app that has generated a page. So, if
> > I get a bug report from a tester or user, I can tell them to
> > attach the offending page to the bug report and from that I can
> > find out what version they were using.
>
> Then, instead of a meta tag, why not just put it in a hidden (or
> smallish) div in the HTML?

Why? I don't see what I would gain. I may need to mention that I'm not
actually overwriting a file. The partial containing the explicit call to
git is contained in an engine common to several applications. The
partial I write that's containing the deployed version is in the app
itself and therefore earlier in the path.

> And I think Parker may have the right idea.  It seems reasonable to
> read this from a VERSION file that's updated by Git or Cap.

That doesn't explain why that approach is better than what I'm currently
doing. Yes, it does seem reasonable, but is my current approach
unreasonable?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig