On Aug 23, 4:06 pm, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23 August 2010 20:20, Bob Smith <bsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I suggested not top posting, I suggested inserting your post in
> the previous post in order that it appears after the question it is
> answering.  Not just sticking the reply down the bottom.
>
> > I have 2 name fields called name and sname. What I am trying to do is
> > show both names in the index page at the beginning of
> > the app. They need to be combined as a list which is then put in
> > alphabetical order and given to the index page to be displayed with
> > edit links for each item.
>
> So which part is giving the problem?  Fetching the records from the
> database in the right order (in the controller), making the records
> available to the view, showing the names on the view or showing the
> edit links?
>
> [This would be a good place to insert your reply]
>
> Colin

Bob, what Colin (and others) are trying to understand is what you're
actually trying to do.  When you say that you have 2 name fileds (name
and sname) do you mean that you have a first name and a surname, each
in a Household record (i.e., corresponding, for example, to the head
of the household), or do you mean that you have another model (i.e.,
Person) in which you have fields for name, sname, and household_id
(thereby relating the Person record to the Household to which the
person belongs, with associated relationships in the models)?

As you indicated that you want to display the id of the "name or
sname" the inference which I draw is that they will be different,
thereby implying that your two name fields are in a model different
from the Household model (as they would otherwise both have the same
id, corresponding to the id of the Household record).  If both name
and sname are fields in the same (Person) record (and related to a
particular Household record), then concatination can be done in your
view, model, or a helper, with the better practice being in the model
or helper.  Note that you probably do not want hh.name + hh.sname (as
suggested above) as that would look strange.  You probably would want
either hh.sname + ', ' + hh.name or hh.name + ' ' + hh.sname instead.

Until you ask a clearly defined question, it is impossible to guess
what you want or to provide you with the appropriate guidance.

Sandy