On Wednesday 01 September 2010, Christian Fazzini wrote:
> Just thinking out loud. about switching from pgsql to mysql. So far,
> haven't experienced any differences between the two databases. [...]

As for the databases themselves: Add or delete a column to/from an
existing large table, say > 1M rows. Or add/remove an index. In
PostgreSQL these operations will all be well below a minute. In MySQL
I've experienced them to take so long as to become prohibitive.

Also, if anything goes wrong during your migration, PostgreSQL behaves
properly transactional. MySQL will leave you with a partially applied
migration where you have to sort out the mess manually.

Possibly it is a matter of taste or familiarity, but I think the
PostgreSQL reference docs are much better and particularly much better
organized. As a bonus, on Debian Linux I have all the command and SQL
language references as man pages.

The psql commandline tool, in my opinion, is far superior to mysql. For
one thing, auto-completion works.

> The more important thing is, web hosts that I have spoken to have
> said that pgsql takes up a considerable amount of RAM than mysql...
> More RAM on a web host means more $$$.

I haven't been there myself, as I mostly work on small-scale apps, but I
take it that properly configured for a high load, both DBMS take lots
and lots of RAM -- and use it to improve performance. If you are
concerned about the RAM use, you ought to look into how these systems
are configured. Their default configurations are meant to work, but are
in no ways optimized for what you might be doing with your databases.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:mich...@schuerig.de