I figured it out.

    def set_current_ip
        if params[:organization] && params[:host]
                @getip = Getip.new
                @getip.organization = params[:organization]
                @getip.host = params[:host]
                @getip.dyn_ip = request.env['REMOTE_ADDR']
                @getip.save

It works if I manually set the url to
http ://<domain name>/remoteip*?organization=mycompany&host=fileserver*

It works for now and there is still a lot more I should do to this so I am
still open for ideas.

Trevor