On Sep 3, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Cuz Ican wrote:

> It all depends on what the app is going to do/use..
>
> You are definitely right thinking you will have faster more stable
> success using rails2. That is not a rails thing but anyone in technology
> long enough knows this tradeoff no matter the platform. (java, .net,
> python, drupal, etc..)
>
> The bigger slow downs/bugs/time lags tend to be around the plugins/gems.
> It takes time to get those all working properly.
>
> Everyone wants to be on the newest version but think about servers also.
> If you keep upgrading your servers a lot of software will break. You
> can't go install redhat 6 as soon as it is released and think your not
> going to run into issues. Also think about how many bug fixes and
> service packs come out after new things arrive. You need to be careful
> in your decision.
>
> What I have learned in all my experience is don't be bleeding edge
> unless you got it like that and/or want it like that. It seldom is the
> 'logically smarter' choice for the majority of scenarios.

+1

One thing that might change this thinking (for me anyway) is the launch date
for the project.  If it's in a month or two, I'd stick with 2.x because I don't
have the time to deal with plugin/gem issues.  If it's 6 months or a year from
now, I'd be much more likely to deal with those issues because come launch time
3.x will have had all those things worked out.

A timeline of that duration would also give me the time (or let me plan for it)
to *help* fix those plugin/gem issues and contribute back.

-philip