call the action like "/controller_name/action_name.js" this from the
javascript file, if the call is ajax make your controller respond to js
then the file action_name.js is really named action_name.js.rb file there do
<%=render :text => user.id%>

this is what should happen, you call from the javascript
"/controller_name/action_name.js", this goes to the route and matches

map.connect /:controller/:action.:format

you see the format at the end ? rails will return the action_name.js.rb
ignoring the rb part as it does with index.html.rb that file will render the
text with the user id, another option is returning a json object, read a bit
about it because i think json is the way to go.