On 8 September 2010 10:01, pauld <paul.denlin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am working my way thru Ruby on Rails Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example
> and am on this page:
>
> http://railstutorial.org/chapters/static-pages#top
>
> Am getting problems when I create an HTML page in the public directory
> which is called public/hello.html and should appear as in Figure 3.3.
>
> My problem is that when I try to create the page and make it appear at
> http://localhost:3000/hello.html I don't see the rendered page.
> Instead, I get an error which says "Routing error No route matches "/
> hello.html"
>
> I have not made any changes to the routing; I thought that Rails was
> supposed to be smart enough to find "hello.html" because it's in the
> same directory as the "public/index.html" page and the name of the
> page is "hello.html"?

Could you just triple check the file name in public and in the url you
are typing.  I believe the webserver looks in public first and only
goes on to look at routing if it cannot find it there.  Does it work
if you ask for index.html?  Is so I suspect a simple error somewhere.
Perhaps you have a space on the end of the filename for example.  You
could try renaming the file to what you think it already is.

Colin