Quoth Chris Mear (chrism...@gmail.com):
> On 11 Sep 2010, at 15:26, Kenneth Dunlap wrote:
>
> > Quoth Michael Schuerig (mich...@schuerig.de):
> >>
> >> Yes: passenger and mongrel are very decent backends.

> >> At least on Debian Linux there are binary packages for passenger
> >> (libapache2-mod-passenger) as well as mongrel. Apparently you are on a
> >> *BSD-based system. In case you haven't looked already, make sure there
> >> are no binary packages readily available for your systems. Consider
> >> building the necessary packages yourself and integrate them with your
> >> distribution system.
> >>

> >> From your question I assume that you don't yet have much experience with
> >> deploying rails applications. If this is the case, I'd recommend using
> >> passenger in favor of mongrel and the more esoteric options. It is
> >> easier to get support and it is easier in production as there aren't as
> >> many (different) processes you need to monitor. -- If I misinterpreted
> >> your question, well, go ahead and use your experience.
> >
> > Alas, after finally getting passenger built and disted to a test
> > machine, the process spawner segfaults in libpthread.
>
> I know there's some issue with Passenger and OpenBSD's pthreads, but it's
> supposed to work on FreeBSD, according to their docs, so I think the
> Passenger devs would appreciate a bug report[1] about that.

This was on a NetBSD 5 virtual running under Xen.

> Out of interest, were you using the FreeBSD rubygem-passenger port (which
> seems to be actively maintained[2]), or hand-rolling something?

Downloaded as source, compiled under NetBSD 5, disted to test machine.

> > As for mongrel2,
> > it won't compile on FreeBSD.  My production system is currently running
> > apache/mongrel happily enough, but I was hoping to use ruby 1.9.2
> > when I switch to rails 3, and mongrel version 1 doesn't play well
> > with ruby19.
>
> Unicorn[3] has been getting some attention lately (i.e. Twitter and GitHub
> are using it). It's 1.9-compatible, and I remember seeing some
> FreeBSD-specific options in its config, so it could be worth a look.

Ah!  I hadn't heard of that one.  I'll investigate on Monday.  Thanks
much!

Ken
--

I use the words you taught me. If they don't mean anything any more,
teach me others. Or let me be silent.