Thank you for your response.

So I've realized that the model is just not receiving anything from
these fields.

I added:
  validates_presence_of :user_id
  validates_presence_of :user_empire
  validates_presence_of :difficulty

and I get the error in the form:
  "User can't be blank
   User empire can't be blank"

In the development log it shows these being posted with the correct
names, I've double checked them in the DB and it all matches up.  So why
is it not submitting what's in the input to the DB?

Also it says "User can't be Blank" when it should be user_id. I am
completely confused here.

I do have the belongs_to relationship with :users but am not nesting the
new game form.  I don't have to still do the accepts_nested_attributes,
do I?