I have a website that is working fine, except I cannot get it to print
out characters other than plain text. Characters such as ', :, " and
others like degrees print with the dreaded black diamond with a ?
inside.
Anyone has any idea as to how I might overcome this.
I want to have my website printing out the above special characters.

I use MySql database to store text which is printed to the screen.
This is setup with coliation = Latin1_general_ci, but changing this
does not seem to mater.

My Layout has the following:-

       "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

<head>

I have changed UTF-8 without success

The part doing the printing in View-Show is:-

  <%= @picture.description %>

class description =>

font-size:110%;
line-height:1.5em;